New year, New Skin; how a facial skin peel can revitalise your appearance
Updated: Jan 3, 2020
A new year has started and not only that, but a new decade has begun! New beginnings, fresh starts and good intentions abound as we leave another year behind and enter a new one. The start of a new decade is a real indication of time passing and one of the areas that can show up is on the skin of our faces. As we age we lose elasticity in the skin and it may appear dull with areas of pigmentation whilst lines and wrinkles develop. So why not start the year with a treatment that can help reduce the appearance all of these markers of time passing?
After all of the excesses of the Christmas period your skin may be looking a little more tired than usual. A chemical peel may be a perfect way to give your skin a kickstart by shedding the outer layers to unveil a healthier, brighter more rejuvenated complexion. Facial peels are a very effective minimally invasive therapeutic treatment to improve the appearance and quality of the skin. They work by harnessing your body’s amazing healing ability and transforming your skin into a state of health and luminosity.
Skin Peels can help with a myriad of skin concerns including:
· Uneven skin tone
· Dull complexion
· Age spots and discolouration
· Fine lines and wrinkles
· Sun damage
· Acne and acne scars
How do facial peels work?
A chemical peel works by breaking the bond between the outer layer of dead skin cells and the newly developed healthy skin cells that lie underneath. At the same time the production of collagen and elastin is stimulated in the deeper layers of the skin whilst breaking down deposits of melanin which cause areas of discolouration and pigmentation. This takes place subtly and in the majority of cases there is very little downtime following the treatment. Some people experience some flakiness of the skin following treatment depending on the depth of the peel but for the majority of people the effects can be seen with minimal, if any visible peeling.
Who can have a facial peel?
·Nearly everyone can have a skin peel done with only a few exceptions. These include: pregnancy and breastfeeding
· existing skin cancer on the face
· the presence of cold sores or active herpes infection
· active skin disease such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis or very sensitive skin,
· nut allergy or allergy to any of the ingredients (this may include aspirin depending on the peel),
· use of Vitamin A/Retinol creams on the skin (needs to be stopped 5 days before treatment) use of certain acne treatments
· other recent skin treatment such as microdermabrasion, laser resurfacing or deep peel
Skin Peels available at Ridge Aesthetics
There are 4 WOW skin peel treatments currently available at Ridge aesthetics which include:
1. The Glow enhancing Peel visibly improves the appearance of dullness, rough skin texture and uneven skin tone to promote a revived, glowing complexion
2. The Resurface Peel corrects visible signs of aging. It helps with several skin concerns including fine lines and wrinkles and uneven skin tone to provide a rejuvenated appearance to the skin.
3. The Clarifying Peel is specially designed for oily, acne prone skin, it reduces the production of excess sebum and refines the appearance of pores and skin imperfections.
4. The Brightening Peel helps to improve an uneven skin tone and reduces areas of pigmentation to create a perfectly flawless complexion
What does a Facial Peel feel like?
During the treatment it is totally normal and expected to feel a strong tingling or mild stinging sensation. The treatment is monitored throughout and if any significant discomfort is experienced then the peel can be removed.
What to expect after a chemical peel?
Everyone responds differently to a skin peel but it is normal for the skin to be red for a few hours and to feel more sensitive than usual. The skin may become flaky or even peel slightly for a few days, although if this does not occur it does not mean the peel has failed.
How often can you have a facial peel?
As often as every 2-4 weeks depending on your skin type. The results of the treatment will be visible after one session although a course of 3-6 treatments around 2-4 weeks apart will achieve the best results.
So which skin Peel do you feel is right for you? Start your year with new revitalised skin and get your skincare regime off to a good start. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Call 01454 313189 to book your FREE consultation